The History of Polmaily House ... Quite the Story
This beautiful historic home was built in the early – mid 1700’s by members of the well respected Grant clan, making it nearly 300 years old!
It was from this very house that members of the Grant clan gathered to march to Culloden Moor to support Bonnie Prince Charlie in that ill-fated final battle on British soil, the Battle of Culloden. Whilst the house was saved the revengeful ravages of the government’s pillaging, members of the Grant clan were banished to Barbados as slaves.
Polmaily House’s nest incumbent, Peter MacKay was also a military man and he fought in the New York engagement of 1776 during the American War of Independence.
Thankfully, future occupants were more peaceful folk, including Charles Grant who was Chairman of the Board of Directors of the East India Dock Company. However, it was during the Victorian times that this Georgian home was extended to create separate quarters for servants as it was no longer the done thing to have ‘staff’ living in the same quarters as the family members. The Edwardians made their additions too, making the house the substantial building it is today.
Polmaily is named after one of the saints of the Great Glen, St. Mailie, with Polmaily literally meaning, ‘Mailie’s Pool’. After studying ancient maps, we have recently (May, 2020) located a natural spring in the grounds and it has been suggested that this is the, ‘pool’, after which the house is named!
Today, Polmaily House is returning to its former glory and now welcomes guests to this wonderful part of the world offering them unbeatable facilities, the warmest of welcomes and a temporary home with a tale or two to tell.